Saratoga and Surroundings - DaveCrudele
Powered by SmugMug Log In

The Canfield Casino building, built in 1870.

The building was built as a gambling casino by John Morrissey who was part of Boss Tweed’s powerful Tammany Hall network. Starting in 1867, Morrissey invested $190,000.00 to build an elegant casino although he eschewed the term "casino" in favor of "Club House." The Club House was one of the premier summer time hotspots for America's wealthy and powerful. But the good times did not last forever. Gambling was ended by reformers in 1907. Today the casino houses the Saratoga Springs History Museum.

Canfield CasinoSaratoga SpringsSaratogaNYNew YorkJohn MorrisseyCongress Park